Official Sites
DNC
DSCC
DCCC

Organize
Democracy for America
Move On
League of Conservation Voters
American Civil Liberties Union
NAACP
Center for American Progress
Aggressive Progressives


Learn
Common Dreams
Salon
Guardian UK

The Nation
Mother Jones
Air America Radio

Blog
Blogroll Us!

Shop
Powell's Bookstore


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com



Support The Cause

DNC - volunteer
Move On - volunteer

DSCC/Senate -volunteer


Syndicate The Site (Atom)Add to Technorati Favorites

Contact:
Justin











 

<$BlogRSDURL$>

2/10/2008

The Democratic Race: BI (Before Iowa) 

This is the first in a series of posts set to detail my thought process and my choices in support for the Democratic primary. This post in specific will detail the time leading from mid summer last year, when intentions to run were coming in, up until before the Iowa caucuses.

May 30 last year, quoted from my MySpace blog:
Well the cycle continues to start earlier and earlier each year. Last time around, I was just getting into the world that was Howard Dean. This time we already have frontrunners: Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards. Who's speaking to me?

Hillary has spent her time in the Senate positioning and running for President, pandering to the lowest common denominator idiot that will still think she's too liberal, and also in the meantime alienating the liberal base. Who would vote for her then? Clinton is the Republican dream nomination, an easy target with a big link to the all time favorite target, Slick Bill himself. Look, I like Bill Clinton a lot, but Hillary isn't speaking to me at all. She seems more concerned with regulating video games than addressing health care or poverty.

Barack Obama is an interesting guy. He has the most liberal voting record on the current Senate. He has just recently unveiled a plan for universal Health Care. He is a hell of a speaker. He has attained something of a rock star status. What's wrong then? Sadly, the voters. No matter how great this guy is, I don't see Joe Red-State voting for a black guy with a terrorist name. Politics will prevent this guy from being viable, as I just don't see him picking up any territory that Kerry couldn't. A good VP candidate perhaps and 2016 heir? Maybe then his experience can get him over the racist barrier, but for now?

I'm liking John Edwards. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan in 2004 with his centrist bullshit, but now that this guy is far far away from Shrum Devine(seriously, who hired these jackasses?) he is speaking to me. Out of Iraq? Check. War on Terror a bumper sticker? Check. Universal Health Care? Check. Good speaker? Check. Strenghten the middle class? Check. Electable? Very much so, especially more than the other two serious candidates. Republican's are far and away more afraid of this guy than anyone else, he's difficult to attack.

As of right now, I support John Edwards for our candidate to run for President next year. You probably should too. Sure the usual suspects are there too, Sharpton, Kucinich, but let's be realistic. I don't see a scenario in which any given Democrat would be worse than any particular Republican next year, and with that it looks like I'll be voting that way anyway, but Edwards far and away represents our greatest chance at real progressive change. Any friends that I have in the Super Tuesday (it's in February this time!) states take note.


John Edwards really defined the debate and did himself some good in getting issues on the table, and as a result of his efforts, the policy of the two remaining candidates is largely defined by issues that he put on the front burner. For whatever reason, his candidacy just never took off. Looking back, I can say that in that time of following debates from May until January, my stances softened considerably on the "front runner's club." Barack may just be that damn good, good enough to get over what I referred to as a racist barrier, and Hillary, in spite of some pandering tendencies, has some really great ideas and would make a damn fine nominee. Either one of these two would make an incredible candidate and an even better President. Let me preface my "endorsement" with this caveat: If the other nominee were to take the nomination, I will fully support their candidacy and vote their way in November, and I believe that this election is important enough that we get past squabbles with the other Democratic campaign and make sure our party comes first. With all that said, the nominee that I feel is best to represent us, the nominee that I feel has the best chance of winning, and most importantly, the nominee that I feel will bring the best policy to Washington DC (BYAAAAH) is....

TO BE CONTINUED
| | Blogroll Us!

Archives

March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   February 2008   March 2008  

Technorati Profile