Official Sites
DNC
DSCC
DCCC

Organize
Democracy for America
Move On
League of Conservation Voters
American Civil Liberties Union
NAACP
Center for American Progress
Aggressive Progressives


Learn
Common Dreams
Salon
Guardian UK

The Nation
Mother Jones
Air America Radio

Blog
Blogroll Us!

Shop
Powell's Bookstore


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com



Support The Cause

DNC - volunteer
Move On - volunteer

DSCC/Senate -volunteer


Syndicate The Site (Atom)Add to Technorati Favorites

Contact:
Justin











 

<$BlogRSDURL$>

4/18/2004

Kerry's Campus Tour comes to a close 

It was pretty tough for me to get up so early, I usually don't roll around until 10:45 or so on days I have class, until the afternoon on days I don't. Not today though, I was up at an hour that I hadn't seen since high school, 6:30. I had had three hours of rest and was on the road.

After a few pit stops, I finally arrive at Pitt. They have the area gated off, so me and the crew move to get in line. It was pretty surprising, the number of people there. What Glen estimated as two thousand later was reported to be ten thousand, a stunning turnout. There are a few Bush supporters outside with signs and sticker rolls. I was pretty unhappy to find out the way the stage was set up was with two difference pools of audience, some got a certain kind of ticket and was allowed to get much closer to the stage. I didn't have the ticket, needless to say, but I am curious how you get one. Now I know my efforts haven't been big shit or anything, but I have contributed a decent amount of documented effort to the campaign, and I'm still wondering why I got the generic ticket. Does anyone know? Also thanks to Phil for emailing me back about helping out. He was on the stage behind Kerry. As we waited for the show to begin, people became a bit antsy. Just hearing people, I was afraid that most of them would leave after Bon Jovi. On to the actual rally.

The first speaker was an absolute surprise, future PA senator Joe Hoeffel. I felt kinda stupid because Glen and I screamed, a few others applauded, and most others had no clue who this guy was. Great speaker though. He introduced newly elected county commissioner, Dan Onorato, who a few more people knew. Both spoke about how we need Kerry, but the crowd at large at this point was aloof. Then, after no email Phil speaks for a bit, he announces what to some was the main event. Bon Jovi, who I didn't dislike as much as I thought I would, played three songs, and it seems only one people knew. I can't say much bad here. After this, was a short break. A few people did head out, but only a few. I moved a few steps closer and was finally able to get a clear view. After a short break and some more stock campaign music (u2 must be rolling in cash from these guys), local hero Franco Harris came out. He wasn't the best speaker, but his point stands none the less. He introduces Governor Ed Rendell, the opening act.

governor Rendell is a good guy and I am a fan. That said, I'm suprised the crazy label stuck to Dean and not him. This guy looks like he's 9 foot tall and 9 foot wide and talks like a raving maniac. After a few remarks about Bush and Kerry, it was time for the main event.

The Heinz family along with the Senator and Tom Delonge of Blink 182 come out to Hey Ya. Teresa speaks first about how this is her home, one of her sons comes out with an Ahnold/Bill Clinton impression that works the crowd, and Delonge, who's name I'm suprised isn't on the RNC webpage for calling the president illiterate, was rather popular as well. He talked about how they can't go all around the world without people pissed at him. Finally, what I had been waiting to see for months now, John Kerry is on.

His speech wasn't anything I hadn't heard before. His aura was the usual. But god damn if that man can't get me worked up. I was cheering at every applause line, the crowd was going wild, it was rather exciting. John Kerry could speak and debate the president through a wall, and I'm sure that'll come through when they actually start debating this fall. His one flaw, that he uses too many words to say things, he seems to be working on. He needs an Al Sharpton soundbyte writer on his staff to complete the circle. That said, I was impressed, and I will be at as many of these events that I can.
| | Blogroll Us!

Archives

March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   February 2008   March 2008  

Technorati Profile